Welcome to Support Our Sisters

On April 18, 2012 the Vatican's Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith released a doctrinal assessment of the Leadership Conference of Women's Religious (LCWR) in the United States. The assessment was on the heels of an in-depth investigation of women's religious orders in the United States. Many Roman Catholic sisters are saddened and demoralized by the recent assessment.

The purpose of this blog is to provide a forum to show support for our sisters, women who have given their lives to serve others through education, social services, nursing, legal advocacy, lobbying, spiritual direction, prison ministry etc.

Please consider purchasing awareness bracelets for your parish or special interest group. I have provided a link to the right of this post so you can order bracelets and distribute them to your community. The awareness bracelets can be a symbol of solidarity with the sisters who have so generously given their lives in the service of others.

Join us at a Vigil to Support Our Sisters

If you live near Los Angeles, CA please join us on Pentecost Sunday, May 27 2012 at Our Lady of the Angels Cathedral - 555 West Temple St., Los Angeles, CA 90012 time to be announced. Additional vigils will take place outside the Chancery Office 3424 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90010 at 7:00 p.m. each Tuesday night in May leading up to the national meeting of the Leadership Conference of Women Religious that begins May 29.

For more information on the vigils or to sign the petition in support of the sisters go to http://www.nunjustice.org/

Monday, May 7, 2012

THANK A SISTER:  If you would like to show your gratitude to a sister or women's religious order, please post a comment by clicking on the word "comments" below.  I would like to personally thank the Sisters of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary (elementary school), the Sisters of the Society of the Holy Child Jesus (high school) and the Religious of the Sacred Heart of Mary (college) for the education I received.

8 comments:

  1. I am a product of Catholic education and the women that devoted their life to teaching and inspiring young people to be the best they can be. I would like to say thank you to all of these women--the sisters that motivated me to reach for the stars, all the way from Holy Spirit in Philadelphia, PA, to Little Flower in Pensacola, FL, to St. Joseph's in Toms River, NJ. Also, to my aunt, Mother Agnes, OSB, who has given me unconditional love and support, and Mother Miriam and Mother Philip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For nine years of grammar school, the Sisters of the Presentation, BVM taught me. My eighth grade teacher, Sr. Mary Berchmans, was one of my life changing teachers. A commitment to excellence, preparation and hard work was instilled by her.
    Thank you to all my teachers and also to the wonderful Sister friends I have made throughout my life.
    In solidarity,
    John Newman
    Los Angeles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was educated by both the Sisters of St. Casimir and Holy Child Jesus. They were poised remarkable women. To this day, I stand a little straighter when I see a nun. I am eternally grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Huge thanks to Sister Joselle, my fourth-grade teacher at St. George School in the Bridgeport neighborhood of Chicago. She didn't yell, she didn't judge, she didn't punish. She showed only warmth, gentleness, kindness, understanding, and acceptance. I wanted to be a teacher just like her. Hopefully, during 20 years of teaching, I succeeded to at least some degree. Aciu, sesele!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to thank the Religious of the Sacred Heart of Mary at Marymount who "civilized" a wild 10 year old (me) and whose vision and mission nurtured three independent thoughtful young women (my three daughters). I am also most grateful to the IHMs (now a religious community rather than an oder of nuns) who encouraged me to think critically and independently and who were great nuns. Their community today is the exemplar of what sisters can become when Rome pushes them out the door.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks to the BVMs and IHMs who taught us to be strong, independent women. They taught us to be critical thinkers. They taught us to accept, no not accept, but celebrate diversity. By their example, we learned to serve our fellow human beings. Many of the women who attended Immaculate Heart went on to join the peace corps and to choose service professions. I was so fortunate to have been taught by these progressive nuns who taught us to make this world a better place.
    Gaile

    ReplyDelete
  7. Westley M. GillardJune 4, 2012 at 7:23 PM

    I would like to thank the Franciscan Sisters of Baltimore who staffed my grammar school and the other orders of Nuns who taught in our Harlem, NY schools: The Franciscan Handmaids of the Most Pure Heart of Mary and the Sisters of the Blessed Sacraments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you to the IHM sisters who staffed my elementary school in Falls Church, VA; the most wonderful education. And thank you to all the sisters that I have encountered over the years, serving the poor and sick. Truly blessed women

    ReplyDelete

Donate Money to a Women's Religious Order

Donate to one of the many women’s religious orders. For a list, see the following link. http://www.catholiclinks.org/women.htm